Monday, April 8, 2013

Go to the Middle East

It was this day one year ago my boyfriend and I returned from a 2-week trip to Egypt and Jordan (yes, I know Egypt is a part of Africa but I'm going to clump it with the middle east for this post). I have never been so happy to be back from a vacation. Don't get me wrong - the vacation was great! It just made me appreciate my home country so much more. I mean, I can wear shorts and a sleeveless top in the summer and NO ONE cares! To do the same in the MENA region, well, as a woman it's not good. 

Seriously though, traveling to these two countries was an eye-opening experience and I highly encourage others go - but I do have to exercise a word of caution. Everyone has seen the Egyptian protests in the news. My fella and I went at a good time, when things had settled after the ousting of Mubarak but before the election of Morsi. We also hired a private guide through a company called Memphis Tours (highly recommended!) and they took good care of us. If you're planning a trip, don't do so independently. And definitely check the travel alerts. In regards to Jordan, this is probably the most progressive and safe country in this region so no worries there.

By the way the Pyramids are AMAZING. It was humbling being in their presence and I honestly could have spent my whole time in Cairo staring at them. We also went to Luxor and explored Karnak temple and tombs in the Valley of the Kings (King Tut's tomb was closed for repairs though - balls!). Luxor, in comparison with Cairo, was clean and quaint. Beautiful town.

As a whole though, Egypt upset me a little. It's easy to see how the decrease in tourism has affected the country, even though I had nothing to compare it to (it was my first time here). Children are barefoot in tattered clothes, panhandling on the streets. I couldn't walk 10 feet away from my guide without being surrounded by people begging for money. Trash is everywhere. I saw a dead, bloated ox floating in a litter-ridden canal which I later saw people drink out of. I'm no economics expert but this is what happens when a government doesn't invest in it's people, one thing I appreciate our country for doing. But despite the country's flaws, it wedged it's way into a special place in my heart. I strongly recommend you read the news regarding human rights for Egyptians, and maybe even donate a little. Check it out

I'm glad I did a combo trip, because Jordan was SO different then Egypt. It is a truly a remarkable country - surprisingly lush and green in the north with an otherworldly rock desert in the south. Also home of the Dead Sea - a body of water that makes you super buoyent because of the salt content. The people living there are the most genuinely kind people I have ever come across - and huge WWE fans too (random...). At tourist sites, I saw large groups of free-spirited young girls laughing with each other and yelling greetings to my boyfriend and I. A few of them approached us and asked us all sorts of questions. These curious young ladies fill me with hope for the future.

Oh yeah, and Petra has become my favorite place on earth - take THAT Disneyworld.

Going back to where I started, I'm happy I made this trip and I came back with a new found love for my country. Yup, I now don a mullet and listen to Toby Keith. 'MURICA!

Expand your horizons, folks. ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment