Sunday, April 14, 2013

Love an animal!

April is Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month so I am dedicating this post to our furry friends. Everyone who knows me knows I'm a dog lover. Don't get me wrong - I love all kinds of animals, but I just so happened to have grown up mostly with dogs. Big dogs too. My parents used to adopt greyhounds from a nearby racing track. And after our last greyhound passed away (RIP Pat Pat), my parents brought home a pit bull mix.

Pit bulls are a breed that certainly evokes extreme emotions from people so I'm not going to start any debates. What I will say is that this dog became my best friend and I was legitimately in love with her. Her name was JuneBug. When my high school boyfriend broke up with me, JuneBug would snuggle up to my crying self and look at me as if to ask what was wrong, which made me feel better for some reason. She was so awesome that you could leave food on a coffee table - within easy reach for her - walk away, and not have to worry about her eating it. When I moved out and could only visit on the weekends, the stress I had acquired through work or bills always melted away the instant I saw her.

Eventually though, old age takes a toll and we had to put my sweetheart down a few months ago. As devastating as it was to say goodbye, I am so happy I got to experience a strong animal-human bond. You have to have experienced it yourself to know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, though I personally think that dedicating a month to the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is silly because cruelty should NEVER happen, I do think we should all do our part to help. The ASPCA along with the Humane Society are some of the biggest organizations to help animals, but you should support local shelters too! I periodically volunteer at Sean Casey Animal Rescue in Brooklyn by walking dogs, photographing animals and updating their website. If you can't find the time to volunteer, I can tell you donations are always appreciated.

And if anyone reading this has never loved an animal, you really have to open your heart to one. It can change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment